Monday, April 13, 2009

Green Tea Reckoning










Baking again after a brief stint in Vancouver B.C. We walked into a few cupcake stores while wandering the city, not impressed. There's a local chain up there that has sub-par cakes that sit out all day long. Gross. I didn't see much in the way of vegan options in Vancouver, but I was only there for a few days.

I adore green tea, I think it works great in so many things, like cupcakes. I had my first green tea cupcake in Boston a year and a half ago, it was fantastic! The recipe came from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World (yes I'm still linking to Amazon® I'm not convinced that they purposely rigged their site to censor poof-oriented things) which is a fantastic book that everyone should own. And I do recommend finding it in a local bookstore, given the economy local is the way to go. I've made the book version several times and I wanted to put my own twist on the recipe.

Matcha (ground green tea) is notoriously expensive, especially the pure stuff. Always make sure that the ingredients read as green tea ONLY, a lot of company's out there mix in sugar and filler junk. You can Google it and find online companies or just go down to your local Asian Market, it tends to be cheaper there.










I use about 4 teaspoons of matcha per batch of cupcakes and they always turn out with a good green tea flavor. For my experimental batch I switched it up and used my favorite base of coconut milk and flax seed and modified a few other recipe aspects and came out with a very moist and delicious cupcake. I topped with a Green Tea Glaze that you can find in 'Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World'.

I'm working on a recipe for Green Tea Biscotti, hopefully I'll get it made and posted shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment