Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Blood Orange Cupcakes With a Blood Orange Glaze










I saw some Blood Oranges at Wholefoods® and thought "I bet those would make great cupcakes". Turns out I was right, the Blood Orange flavor was amazing. I've never had Blood Oranges before this recipe, since then I've bought them twice. Apparently Blood Oranges are fairly new to North America which might be why I've never had one (most places don't carry them). The folks over at O'Biolla have this to say about Blood Oranges;

Blood oranges are known for their high vitamin C, potassium, carotene and dietary fiber contents, all of which have extensive health benefits. It has been well documented in the nutritional press that consuming several daily servings of fruits and vegetables, combined with three servings of low-fat dairy products, are effective in lowering blood pressure and other heart-related disease risks, while contributing to overall general good health and disease resistance.
I tried something new with these cupcakes and cut a hole out of them to fill with chocolate, then topped with a Blood Orange glaze and orange zest. Overall the cupcake turned out really well, but I think in the future I'll hold off on adding the chocolate inside, it distracted from the orange flavor. Or I'll fill the cupcakes with glaze and top with a orange butter cream.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Justin,

    My name is Eric Rivera and I'm Angelie's brother. She told me to check out your site and I'm glad she did. Pastries are something that I cannot make so I love to see how the other half lives. I would love to add you to my blogroll on my blog so people have a nice resource for pastries. I average around 150 hits + per day so I'm sure someone visiting would love to try your products. Anything I can do to help out a friend of my sister's is cool with me!!!

    Let me know what you think,

    Eric
    http://ericriveracooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Justin,

    I just posted an introduction for people to visit your website. I hope it helps!

    http://ericriveracooks.wordpress.com/2009/04/08/vegan-pastries/

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw blood oranges at WFs recently too...and wanted to make cupcakes! Yours look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - I followed the link from Eric's post to your site and it's like cupcake heaven here! Thanks for sharing such great recipes (I will have to try vegan buttercream).

    ReplyDelete